Sunday, September 5, 2010

16 Things That It Took Me 45 Years to Learn

I just read an essay by one of my favorite writers Dave Barry. It is entitled “16 Things That It Took Me 50 Years to Learn.” If you would like to read it, it can be found at: http://www.appleseeds.org/Barry_50years.htm

And so, after reading his essay I am now inspired to write out my own 16 things. Here they are. If you wish, please write out your own and send them to me. I’d love to read them.


16 Things It’s Taken me 45 Years to Learn


1. Good friends matter more than anything else in life (even though at times they drive you crazy).

2. Whatever you think is going to happen well...um...that won’t be it. Ha ha.

3. When you are feeling up, don't worry, soon you will feel down. When you are down, don't worry, soon you will feel up. This is not manic depression. It is the nature of life.

4. Living with another species or two (or five) soothes one’s soul, even if it involves a lot of slobber and sweeping up of hair.

5. True love does indeed exist.

6. Nobody, and I mean NOBODY (I’m talking to you Jesus, Buddha, Muhammad, etc..) has ever really figured out what is going on. We all just take our best guess and go with it. If anyone says otherwise, don’t trust them.

7. One always has the option to change their mind (at least I think so at the moment).

8. The things that bring the most joy don’t cost money.

9. It’s really not worth worrying about what other people think. Just be yourself. They are all worrying about what you think.

10. I am both my worst enemy and my best friend. Me, myself, and I really need to get together and have a serious discussion about this.

11. One should always trust a gut feeling.

12. Make choices so that when you look back, you won’t be embarrassed but proud. This also helps to keep you from murdering a cheating lover and hence keeps you out of jail (I know this from experience).

13. When you are really really angry at someone, don’t respond to the person for 24 hours. You’ll never regret the delay; you may regret a quick action.

14. I’m not in competition with anyone despite what they (or sometimes I) think.

15. It’s fine to do whatever you want as long as you don’t hurt others and keep in balance. In fact, it is really best to do so.

16. The only thing we actually really have to do in life is die.

No comments: